After the successful attempts baking the soft loaf bread with glutinous rice flour and cornflour, I thought I should also try with tapioca flour. Managed to get the basic recipe from home baking website and did some adjustments to the ingredients. This recipe yields 2 loaves of 500gm bread.
The loaf bread texture is like the cornflour loaf. It's soft and moist......and we tried toasting it on the 3rd day. It is good with a mild tapioca smell.
45 gm tapioca flour
270 ml water
- Combine the tapioca starch and the water (270 ml). Stir until thick over low heat and cool completely. .
555 gm bread flour
2 tbsp skim milk powder
1 - 1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
3 tsp yeast
140 ml warm water
30 gm butter
- Add all the ingredients [except butter] to the cooked tapioca dough. Knead [from low speed to medium] until well combined and dough is soft for about 10 minutes then add in butter. Continue kneading until soft, smooth and elastic. Knead a further 5-10 minutes and dough does not stick to the fingers or window pane stage.
- Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Then divide each dough into half. Shape the dough into a ball lightly. Roll each dough out into a rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log. Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for an hour or until double in size or almost reaching the rim of the baking tin. Remove from oven before preheating it.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 25 minutes [uncovered] or 200 degrees C for 30 minutes [covered].
- Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.
Next time, I try to bake it at 160 degrees C for 40 minutes. Just to see if the texture is like the QQ Glutinous Loaf Bread.