The quantity here is for making 2 loaves of 1/2 kg bread. You can always bake 2 loaves at a time and freeze up 1 loaf if you cannot finish them in 2-3 days. This bread remains soft and moist even on the third day provided it is kept in airtight container and in a cool place.
Starter Dough Ingredients
240 gm bread flour
60 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
200 ml warm water
- Pour water into a mixing bowl and add instant yeast. Leave for 15 minutes until yeast activates. Add in flour and use a spatula to stir into a sticky dough. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to rise for 1-2 hours or double in size. [Can do this earlier , leave to rise for 30 minutes, then put in plastic bag, tie up and keep in fridge overnight or keep for 1-2 days. When using, remove from fridge and leave in room temperature for 30 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients].
Bread Dough Ingredients
240 gm bread flour
40 gm plain flour [60 gm is not adding wholemeal flour]
2 tbsp wholemeal flour
3 tbsp castor sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
150 - 160 ml warm water
1-1.5 tbsp butter
- When starter dough is ready for use, add in the dry bread dough ingredients [except butter]. Using the dough hook, turn on low speed [speed 1] to mix all the ingredients then gradually add in the water. Kneading the dough all the time for about 5 minutes. Then turn to medium speed [I used speed 3] to knead for another 5 minutes. Add in soft butter and continue to knead for 10 minutes or until dough is soft, smooth and elastic. Remove mixing bowl from machine, shape dough into a ball and cover with kitchen towel. The dough is not sticky but soft. Leave to rise for 10-15 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough. Remove to a floured board, divide dough into 2 equal portions and fold in third for each portion, then roll into flat rectangular piece and roll up swiss roll. Put in loaf pan, leave to rise for 50-60 minutes [I put in oven to proof]. Do the same for the other portion. Please refer to my earlier bread posting for pictures on how to roll the bread dough.
- After dough is doubled in size [about 50 minutes], remove from oven. Preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes. Bake bread for 25 minutes on lower rack. Remove baked bread immediately to cool on rack before storing or slicing.
|Proofing dough in oven|
- Here I divide the dough into 6 equal portions because I wanted to make 3 small loaves in 1 bread pan. More rolling but for a change in looks it is alright.
- With this method, less washing to do.