This is a simple Stir Fry Tom Yam Rice Vermicelli. A light, sweet, savoury and sourish flavoured noodles we had for Sunday lunch.
350 gm rice vermicelli- soaked for 10 minutes & drain in colander
2 big onions - sliced
1 red carrot - shredded
150 gm beansprouts - tailed [can substitute with round cabbage - shredded]
300 gm medium size prawns [can substitute with 2-3 tbsp dried prawns] - wash
5-6 pieces kaffir lime leaves - wash keep whole
2 tbsp Tom Yam chilli paste
1-2 tbsp oil
5 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp sugar to taste
salt to taste [optional]
250 ml water
150 ml lime juice [from 4 calamasi limes]
|Ingredients for Noodles|
|Ingredients - Fish Sauce, Noodles and Tom Yam Paste|
|Saute Tom Yam paste, onions, carrot and add water|
|Fried Tom Yam Beehoon in wok|
- Heat wok with oil, add in tom yam paste and onions to fry for a second. Add in carrots and dried prawns and cabbage [if using]. Add water, bring to a boil and add seasoning to taste boil.
- When water boils, add in prawns,leave for a minute and add in rice vermicelli [beehoon]. Use a pair of chopstick to loosen noodles and mix ingredients well. Put in beansprouts and cover wok for 5 minutes or until noodles are cooked and water has almost dried up.
- Toss again till ingredients are well combined and noodles are soft. Throw in lime leaves and pour in lime juice. Toss again and dish out on plate to serve. Garnish with mint leaves or shredded zuchini.
- Can add more tom yam paste if it is not too spicy.
- Be careful with salt and lime juice as some tom yam paste taste salty and sourish