Another family favourite, this peanut cookie reminds me of my beloved father. Every year, he would remind me to bake more of this cookie because most of my relatives love this melt-in the mouth, fine peanut cookie. My Pa loved melt-in the mouth peanut cookies which are fine, soft and fragrant. Now, I felt sad, he isn't around anymore to remind or check with me what cookies I will be baking for CNY.
[makes 3 small bottles]
600 gm peanuts - wash and drain
1 lb plain flour
220-250 gm icing sugar
1 tsp salt - optional
1 tbsp butter
150-200 ml vegetable oil
1 egg - beaten for glazing
- Fry peanuts until crispy, skinned and ground into paste.
- Add sugar, salt and butter. Fold in flour.
- Combined well then gradually add in oil [you may not need all the oil].
- The dough is ready once it can roll into a ball and does not stick to the hand.
- Pinch a small piece and roll into a ball. Place on parchment paper, leaving some space in between. Do the same until the baking tray is filled with dough.
- Press each ball lightly with the end of a chopstick. Brush egg glaze evenly over peanut cookies.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cookies to cool on wire rack before storing in airtight containers.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013
hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover