Roast pork or siew yoke is getting expensive these days. In Penang the prices ranges from RM 40.00 to more per kilogram depending on where you purchase them. I searched through some of the food blogs and I was happy to come across a recipe from Reesekitchen which is quite simple for a first timer like me. I gave it a try and it turn out as above. Since I am using a small oven, I have to cut up the piece of pork belly [1 kg] into 3 pieces. The result was encouraging.I can't remember whether I followed exactly the recipe but below are the ingredients and method that I have written down.
1 kg pork belly [the flatter part]
1-2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tsp 5 spice powder
a few cloves garlic - smashed
200 gm coarse salt - for the skin when roasting
- Wash pork belly pieces. Scald in hot water for 1-2 minutes. Clean and pat dry. Pierce the skin all over [I used a BBQ skewer]. Turn over and make a few slits across the meat lengthwise.
- Mix together salt, Chinese wine, 5 spice powder and garlic. Rub mixture all over the meat side. Do Not marinate the skin side. Once the meat side is evenly rub with marinade, place on a flat plate, meat side down and skin side up.
- Leave meat to marinate in fridge for 1-2 days uncovered. This is to dry the skin and get the meat well marinated.
- To roast pork, preheat oven at 250 degrees C for 10 minutes. Bring meat to room temperature. Place meat pieces [skin side up] on roasting rack on top of a foil covered baking tray. This is to collect the oil drippings and for easier cleaning after roasting. Cover skin evenly and fully with coarse salt.
- Place roasting tray in the middle level of oven to ensure even roasting. Roast for 25 - 30 minutes. Remove meat from oven and discard the salt from the skin. Return meat to oven but put on the top level to roast for a further 25 - 30 minutes [can alter heat to top only].
- In between roast, it is okay to open the oven and dab oil from skin. Continue roasting till the skin is slightly burnt. This is to get a crispier skin.
- Remove meat from oven and scrap off the burnt skin with a serrated knife. Above photo showed the burnt skin already scraped off.
- Leave to cool for 10 - 15 minutes before slicing to serve.