Steamed buns with fillings especially meat fillings are no longer cheap and the size and fillings have also changed. We are never sure of what makes up the pau fillings. I have with me for sometime this pau dough recipe which I have been using and it's good. This time, I tried making the big meat pau [called Tua Pau in Hokkien] and I am happy with the results.Ingredients for Pau Skin
[makes 8 pieces]
350 gm plain flour sifted to with 1 tsp double action baking powder
Mix together - 200 ml lukewarm water, 40 gm caster sugar and 1/4 tsp vinegar
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening
- Put in water mixture, followed by flour and instant yeast. Switch bread-maker to dough function. Let it knead for about 5 minutes, then add in shortening. Continue the kneading function till dough is ready.
- Remove dough to a floured surface, punch down dough and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into a smooth ball. Set aside to add desired fillings and shape into pleated paus.
- Leave to prove for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Steam over high heat for 12 - 15 minutes in bamboo steamer. Off heat and leave paus for a further 3 minutes before uncovering to cool on rack. This is to prevent wrinkle, rough skin.
Ingredients for Meat Fillings
300 gm minced meat with some fats
5 mushroom - cubed/diced
5 water chestnuts - skinned, washed and chopped
1/2 chicken breast - cut into 8 pieces
1-2 stalks of spring onions - chopped
1 chinese sausage - sliced into 8 pieces
2 hard boiled eggs [chicken or duck] - quartered
- Season minced meat, chicken and mushrooms with:
1 tbsp each of ginger juice, soy sauce, sugar, oyster sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine
1 tsp each chicken granules and pepper
2 tsp cornflour
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok to fry seasoned meat till cooked. Add in water chestnuts and seasoning [1 tbsp each of soy sauce, oyster sauce and cooking wine]. Fry and add in enough water to cover meat ingredients. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer till meat is tender.
- Thicken with cornflour water [2 tsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water]. Add in spring onions and dish out to cool and refrigerate before use.
- To make paus, divide meat fillings into 8 portions. Each pau should have 1 portion of meat fillings, 1 piece each of chicken, egg and chinese sausage.
Note: Paus can be kept in containers and freezed. To serve, leave in room temperature and steamed for 10 minutes over boiling water on high heat