Followers

Friday, August 8, 2014

STEAMED YAMBEAN DUMPLINGS [CHAI KUIH]

I love yambean and I also love Chai Kuih [steamed yambean dumplings]. Buying from the stalls can be quite costly these days cos' you can't stop eating a few in one go. While I was making the kuih, I had eaten several pieces immediately out from the steamer, while still hot. Nice on its' own or with chilli sauce.
 
The skin stays soft even when cooled and the yambean filling is very tasty.
The original recipe makes only 25 pieces but I managed to make about 40 pieces cos' mine is smaller like the size of Har Kow [Prawn Dumplings].  I kept some in the fridge and reheat before serving.  They are still as good as before.

Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 69
Ingredients for Yambean Filling
300 gm yambean/sengkuang - skinned and shredded
1 carrot - peeled and shredded
3 tbsp dried prawns - rinsed and chopped coarsely
1 tbsp chopped garlic and shallots
2 tbsp oil
Seasoning
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar [I omit]
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
 
 
 
 
  1. Heat up oil, saute chopped garlic/shallots until fragrant. Add in dried prawns . Stir fry then add in shredded vegetables. Stir to mix well. 
  2. Add seasoning and water. Continue to stir fry until vegetables are softened and aromatic.
  3. Dish up to cool. This filling can be prepared in advance and refrigerate until required.
    Ingredients for Dumpling Skin
    150 gm wheat starch [tang mien fun]
    150 gm tapioca flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    450 ml boiling water
    4 tbsp shortening  [can use 3 tbsp]
    1. Combine wheat flour, tapioca flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  Pour in boiling water and stir immediately to mix well.  Cover and leave aside for 10 minutes.
    2. Add in shortening/oil and knead into a smooth dough [this takes some time].  Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
    3. Divide dough into equal portions [about 20 gm each].  Flatten with a roller, wrap up filling and seal up.  You can wrap up dough in rounds, oval or half moon shapes according to your preference.
    4. Arrange dumplings onto a greased steaming tray, steam for 7-8 minutes on high heat.  I steamed for 10 minutes using electric steamer.
    5. Remove, brush with fried garlic oil while still hot.  Serve with chilli sauce.
    Garlic Chilli Sauce for Dipping
    [Blended and Mixed Together]
    5 red chillies
    4 cili padi
    50 gm ginger
    8 pips garlic
    4 tbsp sugar
    salt to taste
    80 ml white rice vinegar
    150 ml tomato sauce


    I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #15 hosted by
     Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
    photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

    19 comments:

    Jozelyn Ng said...

    Hi, Kimmy. I like to eat this too, seriously, at least 3 at a time, it is selling about RM 2.50 for 3 pieces now here at my place. Would try to make this, I have the Yum Yum magazine no. 69 too...

    Regarding the boneless roast duck, my nephew bought it in Ipoh during Raya trip. I never seen this in KL too, not sure whether it is available in Penang.

    PH said...

    Kimmy, you are really good! You can also make chai kueh and they look perfect! When I was small I did not like chai kueh at all but now I love them. And you are right, can't stop at one!

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Jozelyn, thanks for the info., I'll check it out. Apart from yambean, there is the chives filling and meat filling which I would like to do too.

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Phong Hong, drooling over this kuih and I can eat many in one go. Best to make my own to solve this problem..hehehe!

    Veronica said...

    I love chai kuih and I can't stop eating them as soon as they come out from the steamer. Yours look awesome.

    Karen Luvswesavory said...

    Kimmy, i like these dumplings too ... It's like 'soon kuih'.

    soh said...

    Hi,刚蒸了一份菜粿,给家人明天早歺。原来是这么难的。加了热水搅拌,揉成团,休面开始揉成形,用了很多茨粉当手粉,是这样吗?用木棍桿成一片再切成园形,一直黏手,不知道那里出错?包了又一直皮破,是桿得太薄吗?结果蒸好粿馅都跑出来,失败了!知道为什么吗?谢谢分享!晚安!

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Karen, quite close but this is more chewy and soon kuih is softer less QQ.

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Soh, I use a mixer with dough hook to do the mixing. Much easier. I cool the dough in the mixer than only add the fat [I think using shortening is easier than corn oil]. Then knead until smooth,elastic and rest the dough before shaping. Quite though but is very satisfying. You could have under kneaded the dough.

    QembarDelites said...

    Hi Kimmy, my mom used to make these for us when we were young, we loved it! Been a while since I last ate this, yours looks so soft and chewy and translucent I like it

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Jeannie, you're lucky. My mom never made this for us. I like Chai Kuih and will try make it with meat and chives fillings when I'm making these again.

    kitchen flavours said...

    Hi Kimmy,
    This is my favourite! Really delicious when dipped with chilli sauce. Yours looks so good!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    Kimmy said...

    Thanks Joyce, me too like everything about this chai kuih, skin, filling and chilli dip.

    soh said...

    Hi, last night I steamed the chai Kuih again, I follow your tips mixed the flour with hot water, waited till it cool down and add oil to knead, it really work better, not as sticky as before.
    Thank you for all your tips.
    Have a nice day ahead!

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Soh, the dough needs to be well kneaded. It will get smooth. Have to be patient to knead it until this stage. Keep trying you will make very good chai kuih skin. This is same with Har Gow.

    Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

    Hi Kim,
    I love cai kueh too. Your cai kueh looks so inviting and make me feel hungry now,he...he....

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Aunty Young, sorry, already finished. Next time will make more for you.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Kimmy,
    Thks for sharing this recipe. Love the taste n texture of these dumplings. I made some for lunch this afternoon. They were yummy - better than those sold outside!

    Susanna

    Kimmy said...

    Hi Susanna, glad you tried and like this recipe. I kept some in the fridge and steamed them for 5-10 minutes with my electric steamer, they are as chewy as just made. We just had these for a light lunch. You can make them bigger if you like more filling and smaller if you like the skin more.