Since I don't have an 8 inch pan, I followed Li Ying using cupcake liners and I managed to get 20 cupcakes. As sponge cakes can be quite bland, so for some of the cakes, I used crumble topping and some I used meat floss as filling and topping.
Verdict - soft, fluffy and not too sweet.
[makes 20 cupcakes]
3 large eggs
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
85 gm caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line muffin tray with paper liners. If using baking tin - grease with butter the sides a 20 cm/8 inch round cake pan and line base with baking paper.
- Beat eggs with 2 tsp vanilla extract at medium high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additions at medium speed.
- Sieve in the corn flour little by little for the third time and fold well in with a rubber spatula.
- If using baking tin - pour mixture into pan and spread evenly, bake for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- If using cupcake liners - scoop batter into liners until 90% full, sprinkle crumble topping or scoop a little batter into liners, fill in meat floss and top up with some batter until 90% full.
- Bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 20 minutes.
- Turn sponge cake onto a wire rack to cool.
Wheat Free Sponge Cake with Crumble Toppings Wheat Free Sponge Cupcakes with Meat Floss Filling