A quick stir fry chicken filled with lemongrass flavour and a little sourish because of the tamarind slices [assam keping]. Goes well with steaming hot rice. We had this dish with a healthy stir fry vegetables [see here] and steaming hot white rice.
300 gm chicken thigh - deboned and skin removed - cut bite size pieces
1/2 tbsp oil
2 stalks lemongrass [use white part only] - finely chopped
3 pips garlic - finely chopped
3 shallots - finely chopped
2 slices tamarind [assam keping] - washed
1 big onion - cut wedges
1 red chilli - seeded and cut
spring onion - chopped
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1-2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
200 ml water
- Heat oil, fry chopped lemongrass, garlic, shallots and assam keping until aromatic.
- Add in chicken. Fry until chicken turns white. Add in seasoning.
- Fry for several seconds then add in water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook until gravy is reduced. Add in onions and chilli. Stir to mix well.
- Dish out to serve immediately. Garnish with spring onions.