I baked this cake in 2 x 4 inches round aluminium foil casing. The cake is buttery, soft and moist but the colour tone is slightly dull because I used brown sugar instead of castor sugar.Ingredients
[original recipe uses 8" square cake pan - line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake's sides to rise)]
4 large egg whites
50 gm castor sugar
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add in the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks, set aside.
150 gm castor sugar [I used 130 gm]
4 large egg yolks
230 gm salted butter - room temperature
60 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla essence and egg yolks one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Put in half the flour and mix on low speed to combine. Add in milk in 2 additions and mix well. Mix in remaining flour until well incorporated.
- Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Then use a spatula to FOLD in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into baking pan and level. Bake cake at 180 C [middle shelf] for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and invert to cool completely before unmoulding [since I used the aluminium foil casing, I didn't invert the cake].