How these buns came about?. I prepared the gelatinized dough [GDM] with the intention to bake buns using sardine filling. Then I noticed I had some mashed sweet potato left and a savoury split green bean paste [recipe here] which I prepared to use as filling for baking purple sweet potato buns. Honestly, I prefer having loaf bread for breakfast rather than buns and I have no intention to bake more buns in a week. So, what I did was to use the gelatinized dough ingredients, add in the mashed sweet potato and created these buns which turned out to be so soft, moist and fluffy. I didn't glaze them hoping that these buns will maintain its natural purplish colour.
I was surprised too that the savoury split green bean paste [recipe here] gave these buns a totally new flavour [sought of like east meets west]. As I was a bit lazy to shape the buns, I just baked them in a baking tray [top photo]. Of course you can shape it into any shapes you like [round, oval, cresent etc. it's okay]. I didn't finish baking all the buns at one time. As I said I was a bit tired after my morning exercise, so I kept the remaining dough in a plastic bag [tied up] and refrigerate. Maybe I'll finish my baking the next day....
As the buns were so yummy, there wasn't any left the next day. Greatly motivated with the result of the first batch, I baked the rest of the buns [see second and third photos below]. They were as lovely and yummy!!!.. Noticed the quantity? I was able to share with my neighbours, gave some to my mum and some of course for ourselves...Ingredients for Gelatinized Dough
100 gm bread flour
70 ml hot boiling water
- Mix together into a rough dough using a pair of chopstick. Cover dough with cling film [I used a plastic airtight container] and leave dough to cool in the fridge for 1 hour and up to 48 hours [2 days].
To Prepare Basic Sweet Bread Dough
1 portion of the gelatinized dough
300 gm bread flour
100 gm plain flour
80 gm castor sugar
20 gm milk powder [I used 1 tbsp skimmed milk powder]
1 tbsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 cold egg
200 gm mashed purple sweet potato
200 gm mashed purple sweet potato
80-100 ml cold water [I used about 90 ml]
60 gm cold butter - cubed [I used 50 gm]
egg glaze [I used milk] - I omit
- Mix sweet bread dough ingredients [except butter] with gelatinized dough in a mixer with dough hook. Knead on medium speed for about 10 minutes till soft and smooth [the dough is quite wet but it is alright] then add in butter.
- Continue to knead for another 10 - 15 minutes until dough is soft, smooth and elastic [the dough should be ready if it does not stick to the fingers when touch]. Shape into a round ball with floured hands, cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes or until double in size [#].
- Punch down dough. Divide dough into 3 equal portions [I just estimate].
- Shape each portion into a round ball, then take a portion, roll on a floured board into rectangular shape about 1/2 cm thickness. Spread the fillings all over the dough, roll up tightly like swiss roll. Pinch the seam to seal the edges well. Divide the roll up dough into 9 equal portions by twisting it. Place the twisted side up on a round baking tray lined with greased proof paper.
- Leave to rise for 45 minutes or until double in size in the oven. Remove them from the oven after 45 minutes before preheating oven.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C [middle shelf] for 12 - 15 minutes. Remove to cool on rack immediately before storing.
These pictures were all the buns which I made from this portion of ingredients using the gelatinized dough method.
Here are the pictures that showed how I shaped some of these buns.
Rolled slit buns
I'm sharing this post via BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread at Girlichef