This purple sweet potato paste recipe is from Sonia, Nasi Lemak Lover. I had actually wrote down the recipe that uses 400 gm of sweet potato as I bought too much of it. I thought I had published the post but in fact I had accidentally deleted it. So here I have to use Sonia's recipe [here] as it is good. For the bun dough, I used sponge dough method and the recipe yields 16 'shout out' buns.
[recipe adapted from Sonia, Nasi Lemak Lover]
230 gm mashed purple sweet potato
15 gm sugar [I used 1 tbsp]
20 gm condensed sweet milk [I used 1 tbsp]
20 gm butter
- Put sweet potato, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick pan. Stir to mix well until paste is almost dry.
- Add in butter, continue to stir until paste is shiny and leave the side of the pan cleaned.
- Leave to cool before storing or use.
If the purple sweet potato paste is not too sweet, it may not keep for long. Best to finish soon.
[makes 16 buns]
Step 1 - Ingredients
2 tsp instant yeast
170 ml water
230 gm bread flour
- Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Ingredients
60 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 small egg [20 gm]
25 ml water
100 gm bread flour
30 gm butter
- Add all Step 2 ingredients [except butter] to dough from Step 1. Knead from low speed until well combined. Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes]. Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage.
- Shape dough into a ball. Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions, set aside to rest for 10mins.
- Divide sweet potato filling into 8 equal portions, make it into olive shape or sweet potato shape.
- Flour the work top, flatten dough into round, wrap the sweet potato filling and seal. Use thread/yarn to cut the dough into two. Brush the egg wash on the filling, dip one end of rolling pin with water, dip on sesame seeds and stamp the sesame seeds on the filling. Place on a baking tray. Let it proof for another 30-45mins. Glaze buns with milk.
- Bake at preheated oven at 190c for 15-18mins or 200 degrees C for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.