|Milk bread slice with butter and homemade Kiwi Jam|
This milk loaf recipe was from Blessed Homemaker and her original source was from Happy Home Baking. Anyway, this is the recipe which I used to bake 2 loaves of bread [420gm each] using just milk. As usual, I made double as I'm sharing with my neighbour. Just halve the quantity if you wish to make only a loaf.
If I'm not wrong, this dough recipe can also be used to make buns [recipe here].
Ingredients for Milk Loaf
[makes 2 loaves x 420 gm]500 gm bread flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar [about 50 gm]
1 small egg
260 ml UHT milk
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp butter
- Knead all dough ingredients [except butter] on slow speed to combine. Then continue kneading on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [about 7-10 minutes].
- Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed when butter and dough has combined. Knead for about 5-7 minutes to get to window pane stage or smooth, elastic and dough is not sticky.
- Form dough into a ball. Place in a bowl covered to rest for 1 hour or double in size [usually is less than 1 hour].
- Punch down rested dough. Divide into 2 equal portions. Round up into a ball. Fold into thirds then roll each portion into a rectangle. Roll up like swiss roll and seal the edges well. Place the loaves in greased Pullman's tins.
- Leave in oven to proof until double in size [about 1 hour].
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
I'm submitting this post to Bake Your Own Bread [BYOB] via girlichef