Ingredients for the buns-Sponge Dough Method
[makes 10 buns]
Step 1 - Ingredients
2 tsp instant yeast
160-170 ml water
230 gm bread flour
- Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Ingredients
60 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 small egg [20 gm] - can used large egg and set aside some for egg glaze
25 ml water
100 gm bread flour
30 gm butter
Egg glaze and toasted sesame seeds
Filling - enough mayonnaise and meat floss
- Add all Step 2 ingredients [except butter] to dough from Step 1. Knead from low speed until well combined. Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes]. Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage [Notes - if not baking buns immediately, the dough can be kept in plastic bag tied up and refrigerate. Thaw to room temperature before using. Advisable to keep up to 48 hours only]. OR
- Shape dough into a ball. Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes. Punch down and divide dough into 10 portions of equal weight. Shape dough into round balls.
- Roll out each ball and shape into oval shape. Place shaped bun on paper casing on baking tray. Finish shaping all the buns.
- Leave to rise for 30-45 minutes or until double in size. Brush with egg/milk glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Baked in preheated oven at 190 degrees [middle shelf] for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to cool on rack.
- Make a horizontal slit in the centre of the baked bun. Pipe in or spread mayonnaise and fill it with meat floss.
I'm submitting this post to Bake Your Own Bread [BYOB] via girlichef