I have seen recipes that uses various jam/preserves to bake chiffon cakes. Since I have my homemade Apple Figs Jam [recipe here], why not bake chiffon cake with it.
Here's a simple recipe using this jam. Of course, this chiffon cake has the taste of the preserves. Just to create a pattern for the chiffon cake, I mixed some batter with a little green colouring and alternate it with the plain batter when filling up the pan. Should have used more colouring for a better effect.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
3 egg yolks [used large eggs]
1-2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
60 ml milk
100 gm Apple Figs Jam [used 3 tbsp]
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt till creamy, then drizzle in oil. Continue whisking for awhile then drizzle in milk. Lastly stir in jam until well combined.
- Fold in flour gently to mix well. Set aside while you whisk the egg white. Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.
120 gm cake flour sifted together with 1/2 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
3 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp sugar
green colouring - optional
- Whisk egg white until frothy and add in cream of tartar. Continue whisking, when foamy, gradually add in sugar. Whisk until soft peaks formed.
- Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture till well combined. Then fold mixture into rest of the meringue till well incorporated. Remove a portion and add in 1/2 tsp green colouring. Fold to mix well.
- Pour batter into 8" chiffon pan alternately with plain and green batter. Knock a few times on tabletop to release air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Invert pan immediately after baking to cool cake before removing from pan.