The vegetarian sambal [see recipe here] which I prepared was so useful and I could use it as a base for quite a number of dishes. This stir fry eggplant is one of them. Here, I added miso to the sambal and used it to fry eggplant. Very flavourful with rice.
600 gm eggplant
3 tbsp vegetarian sambal [can replaced with chilli boh]
3 tbsp miso
2 tbsp chopped ginger
some small chilli padi - sliced
salt and sugar to taste
150 ml water
2 tbsp oil
some crushed vegetarian 'kiam hu' [optional]
- Mix miso and sambal together into a paste.
- Slice eggplant and soak in water with some salt. Drain before frying.
- Add 2 tbsp oil into wok, saute ginger until aromatic.
- Add in the chilli padi, vegetarian sambal and miso paste. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add in the eggplant, stir fry to mix well.
- Add water and seasoning to taste. Bring to boil, then simmer untilvegetable is cooked and soft.
- Dish out on serving plate and garnish with some vegetarian fried 'salted fish'.