This dish is exactly the same as Sesame Oil Ginger Vegetarian Egg. For this version, I used vegetarian egg with sesame oil and lots of ginger and black fungus [bok nee] instead of mushrooms. Simple, tasty and yet appetising with rice.
Vegetarian egg is called tau pau or fresh bean curd sheet that comes in rounds or rectangular form. For this recipe, choose the round type.
10 pieces vegetarian egg - pan fried until golden brown
5 florets of black fungus - soaked and break into small florets
3 tbsp ginger - cut fine shreds [here I used more, rinse once under running water]
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp sesame oil
a dash cooking wine
- Heat sesame oil in wok, saute finely cut ginger until aromatic and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Add in sauce ingredients and water. Bring to a boil, then add in black fungus.
- Cook for several minutes, then put in the fried vegetarian egg pieces.
- Braised for another 5-10 minutes and add a dash cooking wine. Add a little more water if you want more gravy.
- Dish out to serve with rice.