This is actually mock char siew flavoured with red yeast rice residum, nam yee and sweetened with gula melaka. Very different from the normal store bought vegetarian char siew which I think uses some red colouring.
Surprisingly good. My niece loved it. My hubby thought it was store bought, started tasting it after I told him it's not colouring but 'Ang Chow'.
300 gm wet gluten balls [mee keen] - tear or cut strips
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup water
30 gm gula melaka
some toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp red yeast rice residum [ang chow]
1 piece red fermented beancurd - nam yee
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/4 tsp pepper and vegetarian msg
- Marinate gluten shreds with marinate for several hours or overnight.
- Heat sesame in oil. Stir fry marinated gluten shreds for several minutes.
- Add in water, bring to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in gula melaka and simmer until gravy is reduced and thicken.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds.
- Dish out to serve. Garnish with extra toasted sesame seeds.