A light dessert that can be served warm or chilled, this time without the dumplings. Some of the family members didn't get to eat this dessert the last time I prepared it.
Ingredients for Sweet Soup
[makes 6-8 bowls]
20 gm white fungus [2 florets] - soaked and broken into small pieces
1.5 litre water
15 red dates
3 honey dates
100 gm rock sugar to taste
40 gm [about 10] dried apricots - sliced
2-3 screwpine [pandan] leaves - knotted
- Boil white fungus in water over medium heat until soft.
- Add in red dates and honey dates. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add in rock sugar to taste and the pandan leaves.
- Lastly add in dried apricots. Boil for another 5-10 minutes.
- Off fire, serve dessert warm or chilled.
Notes - Benefits of white fungus [shuet yee] - lubricates the lungs and improves yin energy. Helps reduce dryness in the mouth, strengthens the brain, heart and kidneys. Mainly use for sweet brews and soups. Also a good ingredient for mixed salad. Soak before use.
I'm submitting this post to The soup kitchen monthly blogger event
@ The Spanish Wok:The Soup Kitchen by Debs.