Here again a simple sponge cake recipe that yields moist and tender cake from Happy Home Baking. It's an easy to bake cake and I don't mind baking this cake again for I like its chocolaty taste.
Thanks to Happy Home Baking, for the original recipe and write up of this cake, please refer to Happy Home Baking: simplicity.
[loaf pan size 19cm x 9cm x 7cm]
Dry Ingredients - sifted together 3 times - set aside
80 gm cake flour
20 gm cocoa powder [used good quality cocoa powder]
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Liquid Ingredients - combine together - set aside
50 ml vegetable oil
50 ml natural plain yoghurt [room temperature]
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs, room temperature
90 gm caster sugar
- Line loaf pan with foil and parchment paper. Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl on high speed [I used Kenwood Mixer speed 5] until the batter is triple in volume, thickens and leaves a ribbon-like trail when the paddle is lifted up [takes about 5 minutes]. Turn to low speed [speed 2-3] for another 1 minute to stabilise the air bubbles in the batter.
- Sift over the flour mixture into the batter in 3 separate additions. Use a spatula to gently fold in the flour until well blended with each addition. TAKE CARE NOT TO DEFLATE THE BATTER.
- Remove some batter into another mixing bowl. Add in the liquid ingredients. Mix with a spatula until well blended. Add this mixture to the rest of egg/sugar batter. Fold gently with spatula until well blended.
- Pour batter into loaf pan, tap the pan on tabletop a few times to release any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out fairly clean. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- Remove cake and unmould to cool completely on wire rack.