Followers

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Honey Milk Loaf [straight dough method]


Was browsing through Honey boy's blog and was attracted to her recent bake Honey Milk Loaf ( Stone Ground wholemeal version).
Even though, I didn't have her Hokkaido Milk, I went ahead to bake this bread and I must say it is really soft, moist and nice bread.   Stays good even on the third day.  Lucky, I gave it a go - it's good bread.  I wouldn't mind baking this bread again.
Very straight forward preparation but it took one and half hours to proof the dough to over the rim of the baking tin.
Ingredients
[adapted from Cosy Bake with some modifications]
200 gm bread flour [removed 2 tbsp and replaced by wholemeal flour]
100 gm cake flour
4 gm instant yeast [I used 1 1/2 tsp]
60 ml honey
1 egg yolk
5 gm salt [I used 1/2 tsp]
180 ml milk [I used slightly less cos' I don't want the dough too wet and sticky]
10 gm butter [I used 1/2 tbsp] 
Step 6
  1. Put all ingredients [except milk and butter] in a electric mixer bowl.  Knead with medium low speed and gradually add in the milk [you may not need all the milk cos' the dough may be too wet and sticky].  Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth.
  2. Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft, smooth and elastic [or window pane stage].  If dough is too wet, it may need a longer kneading time to reach elastic stage.
  3. Move the dough out to shape into a ball [flour your hands to do this step].  Place it back into the bowl, cover and leave to rise until double [takes about 30 minutes].
  4. Punch down dough to deflate the air and divide into 2 equal portions.  
  5. Take one portion, roll flat and fold into thirds, then roll tightly into a roulade [swiss roll style].  Place it on 1 side of the baking tin.  Do the same for the other portion.
  6. Leave dough in oven with door closed and let it rise to slightly over the rim of the baking tin [mine took about 1 1/2 hours].  Remove from oven before preheating oven at 170 degrees C for 10 minutes.
  7. Baked bread for 30 minutes.  Remove bread from tin immediately to cool on wire rack.
 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhLsOB6dmk6Qk1JhMZBEjS1H1ZsMHP85OC0XF-UMKGDm7HWftnKRPpELGq5ABDKfdgP0j20-XcO-J80UQt5vmxO0l6SomUSLIZkUj-Mh48n_RjJegZaSXhjvpvXUVidQktZgiVymtmfY94t/s1600/BYOB+words+only.jpg

  I'm submitting this to Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Michelle of Delectable Musing, Heather of Girlichef and Connie of My discovery of bread.

6 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This does sound like a very straight-forward bread...and one that I must try since the kids love their soft loaves made into toast in the mornings. Just lovely!

Xff said...

This kind of loaf always reminds me of being a kid. Definitely a favorite treat around my house. Thank you for sharing this with BYOB.

Kimmy said...

Hi Heather & Michelle, this bread is really soft and moist. Sorry, forgotten to take photos on the sliced bread.

iffatali said...

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Flights to Abidjan
Cheap Flights to Abidjan
Cheap Air Tickets to Abidjan

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Very beautiful loaf, looks tasty!

Kimmy said...

Hi Anita, thanks for visiting my humble blog. It's a soft loaf bread but I forgotten to take photos of the sliced bread.