Followers

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Coffee Soufflé Cake

Coffee flavour cottony, soft, light and moist cake
Coffee Soufflé Cake
This is the fourth flavour of Soufflé Cake that I have baked after taking a strong liking for this low gluten cake.  I  also tried reducing the sugar whenever possible.
The cake is cottony soft, light and moist with a nice aroma of coffee.
Ingredients
3 egg yolk
1/2 egg (about 30g) or 1 small egg
15 gm sugar [I used 1 tbsp]
1/4 tsp salt


50 ml coffee milk [I used 2 tsp instant coffee granules [good quality] dissolve in 50 ml hot milk] - cool before use
35 ml vegetable oil [I  used 1 1/2 tbsp]
1/4 tsp coffee paste [optional]
40 gm cake flour  - sifted - set aside

3 egg white [large eggs]

1/4 tsp cream of tartar
55 gm sugar [used 3-4 tbsp]
  1. Line base of a 7" square tin [loose bottom tin] with grease proof paper and wrap it with tin foil.  Place it in a bigger square baking tin. [My new way - line base and sides of baking tin with greaseproof paper.  When baking, place a baking tray on the lowest rack, pour in some water enough to last for the duration of baking and place a wire rack over it.  Place baking tin on wire rack.  This way, you need not have to wrap baking tin with foil].
  2. Preheat oven to 150C.
  3. Mix coffee milk, oil and coffee paste together.
  4. Use a hand whisk mix egg yolks, half egg, sugar and salt together.
  5. Add in liquid mixture and whisk until well combined.
  6. Fold in sifted flour and stir until batter is smooth.
  7. Use a cake mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy.   Add in the sugar in 3 batches and whisk until soft peaks formed.
  8. Fold in 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.   Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined.
  9. Pour batter into prepared cake tin.  Place it in the bigger cake tin [not necessary if following the new way].  
  10. Steam-bake cake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees C for 55 minutes.
  11. Remove cake at once from tin and all paper linings otherwise the cake base and sides may be moist because of vapour from steam-baking.  Cool it on a wire rack.
Note:
I usually chill the cake in the fridge before slicing.  This cake taste as good when chilled.  Cake keeps well in fridge for at least a week.

I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers#22:Lightened Up Cakes (August 2012) hosted by Qi Ting of A Dessert Diet.

16 comments:

PH said...

This is a nice recipe and your new way of putting cake tin on rack over another tin is quite innovative.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, for the new way, just make sure you put in enough water that won't dry up before baking time is over.

ice-ayrez said...

Hi!
I've just tried making the lemon souffle cake, but it seems like my cake is a bit too wet? I have very thin wet layer at the bottom of the cake, just the middle..Any idea why is it like that?

ice-ayrez said...

I've just tried making the lemon souffle cake. Somehow I think my cake is a bit too wet. There was a thin wet layer at the bottom of my cake. Any idea why is it like that?

kimmy said...

Hi ice-ayrez, the first time, mine was a little moist too cos' some water seeped into the pan as I didn't properly wrap the baking tin with foil. I counter the problem by invertng it and grilled for 5-10 mins. for easier slicing. Important point - remove cake from pan and paper lining immediately after baking to prevent vapour from condensing.

kimmy said...

Hi ice-ayrez, I tried my new way above, the cake was lovely [no moist bottom]. I used this way to bake another cake 'Pandan Souffle Cake' last weekend, the cake turns out well too. Maybe next time I'll share with all a picture on how I place my baking tin and steam bath. BTW, do you like the taste of this cake?

kimmy said...

Hi ice-ayrez, for the Lemon Souffle Cake, try baking an extra 5-10 minutes [sometimes it depends on the oven you use, too].

ice-ayrez said...

Thanks for replying!
I tried baking using your new way (to place the water in a pan at the lower tray). But still not sure whether I did it the correct way a not. It's my first time to bake it using the steaming way.:S I think I did not remove the cake from the pan immediately that's why...

Yea, I love the lemon taste! *since I bake the lemon one* And it's so soft n cottony!!

Kimmy said...

After baking, I immediately remove the cake from the tin, remove all the paper lining, then invert the cake to cool on wire rack and remove the paper lining of the base. That's why there are lines on the cake surface. So far the cake base is okay.

ice-ayrez said...

Will take note and bake it next time! :) thanks!

Agos said...

Wow - I love the texture of that cake. I'm not a fan of coffee but I'll have a look at your other flavors :)

By the way, I'm hosting a giveaway at my blog, you may want to check it out!

kimmy said...

Hi Agos, thanks for the info. Will check it out.

eely said...

Hi Kimmy,

just want to check - on your photo u said to beat whites to stiff peak. But on your method below you said to soft peak. May I know soft or stiff pls? :D thanks!

Kimmy said...

Hi Eely, I usually beat it to soft and just about stiff peaks. If it is stiff peak, sometimes it can be a little difficult to blend with the flour mixture thus resulting in white spots in the cake. You can beat to the consistency you are comfortable with and see the results.

Anonymous said...

hi kimmy,
may i know the water use for steam bath method is hot water or normal water.and when to put the water is it when we preheat the oven or when we want to bake the cake?

ive tried to bake but ended up that my cake have a thin layer base at the bottom like kuih.

thank you

syafiqah

Kimmy said...

Hi Syafiqah, it is tap water pour into the tray before you preheat the oven. If you are used to baking chiffon cakes, baking this cake shouldn't be a problem. The only difference is this cake is steam-baked. The thin layer base at the bottom probably is because of the meringue which is not well beaten. Do try baking this kind of cake often. Practice makes perfect. I love this kind of cake, very healthy and keeps well when chilled.