Followers

Friday, August 10, 2012

Kiwi Fruit Jam Chiffon Cake


As usual, I  reserved some of my homemade jam to bake chiffon cake.  This time I'm using my homemade Kiwi fruit jam to bake this chiffon cake.  The cake has some flavour of Kiwi fruit and slightly tangy taste.  Nice cake.

 Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
3 egg yolks [used large eggs]
1-2 tbsp castor sugar
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp milk/water
2 tbsp Kiwi fruit jam  [recipe here]
75 gm cake flour - sifted
 

  • Whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt till creamy, then drizzle in oil.  Continue whisking for awhile then drizzle in milk.  Lastly stir in jam.  Fold in flour until well combined.  Set aside while you whisk the egg white.  Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.


Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
3 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp sugar [40 gm]
  • Whisk egg white until frothy, continue whisking, when foamy, gradually add in sugar.  Whisk until soft peaks formed.
  • Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture till well combined.  Then fold mixture into balance meringue till well incorporated.  
  • Pour batter into 7" chiffon pan.  Knock a few times on tabletop to release air bubbles.   Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees for 35-40 minutes. 
  • Invert pan immediately after baking to cool cake before removing from pan.



6 comments:

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

I am so impressed that you make your own jam! Your chiffon looks springy and must be very delicious. Thanks for visiting my blog. Glad to know you :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Mich, I love fruity jams of various combinations and some aren't available at the stores. So I have to make my own preserves.

Sokehah cheah said...

Wow, home made kiwi jam. The cake looks lovely and soft, must have a nice Kiwi flavour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, I have no complaints about this chiffon cake. One good way to finish up homemade jam, hahaha. The cake is even better if I used 1 extra egg white.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of making a kaya chiffon but I'm worried that the dense kaya will "weigh down" the chiffon and the chiffon will not rise. I'm going to try it after seeing how successful your jam chiffon is!

Kimmy said...

Hi Malukaya, do give it a try.