Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Lemon & Honey Braised Pork Ribs


Never tried cooking pork ribs with lemon marinade and braising it until tender.  Original recipe uses deep frying method and the pork ribs are coated with flour.  
Surprisingly, it is delicious with a slightly sweet and sourish taste.  No oil [except sesame oil for flavour] is used to cook this dish.  You can also skim off the some fats before thickening the gravy.

Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
500 - 600 gm meaty spare ribs - cut into big chunks - blanched in boiling water and rinsed to remove scums
some blanched carrots, green beans and big onions [optional]
Marinade
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp rose wine
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
100 ml water
 Additional Sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
200 ml water
1 tsp custard powder + 2 tsp water [optional]
  1. Marinade spare ribs with marinade for several hours or preferably overnight in the fridge.
  2. Put spare ribs in a heavy based pot with marinade, salt and water.
  3. Bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes.  Lower heat, cover and simmer until spare ribs are tender.
  4. Add in  honey and sugar and continue to boil until gravy is reduced and slightly thicken or thicken with custard water [I thickened the gravy because I didn't have time to simmer until gravy is reduced and thick].
  5. Serve immediately with blanched carrots and green beans.
Note:
I kept the bony parts to cook soup.
Please join us!
I'm submitting this to Muhhibah Malaysian Monday hosted by Sharon of Test with Skewer

7 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this recipe is very nice. I think after braising, we can also grill the ribs. Will try this soon.

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi Kimmy, I like the combination of flavours very much. Think I will substitute with chicken as my family is more into eating chicken than pork. You think it will be ok?

Kimmy said...

Yes, I would love to grill the ribs as my husband said so, too. But I was short of time, so I skipped the grilling.

Kimmy said...

Hi Mich, think should be good to use whole chicken thighs, cooking time will be shortened. As suggested by Phong Hong, grill the meat before serving, definitely nice.

iffatali said...

I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
Flights to Abidjan
Cheap Flights to Abidjan
Cheap Air Tickets to Abidjan

Carole said...

Thanks for lnking these good lemon dishes in. Have a good week.

Kimmy said...

Hi Carole, you're welcome.