Followers

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Soft Milk Tea Loaf [pre-fermented dough]

This original bread loaf recipe is from Honey Bee Sweets which is very soft.  I didn't follow exactly the measurement of the ingredients [cos' my digital weighing machine is not functioning well] but I tried to be as close as possible.  My dough was 'tea' colour but I noticed the original bread loaf was whitish.  Any explanation?  Actually, I used Lipton tea instead of Earl Grey tea.
Anyway from the ingredients, I managed to get 2 bread loaves weighing about 550 gm each.  My pre-fermented dough is more than 17 hours cos' I prepared it on Monday morning and dumped it inside the fridge until Tuesday morning.  
My hubby loves this bread because it is really soft, moist and springy.  The aroma of the tea is quite mild.  Overall it's a good bread.   I wouldn't mind baking it again since my hubby loves it.
Ingredients for Pre-fermented Dough
460 gm bread flour
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
265 ml water
  • Dissolve the yeast in water.  Add to rest of ingredients and knead until soft [I used electric mixer to do the kneading].  Place dough in a big zip log bag and refrigerate for at least 17 hours [mine is more than  17 hours].   The dough will expand in the bag, so make sure there is room for expansion.
Main Dough
200 gm bread flour
2 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1 tsp salt [I omit]
80 gm sugar
2 eggs [lightly beaten] - I used 1 large egg
80 ml milk tea * [I brew 20 gm of Lipton tea with 130 ml hot milk for 15 minutes.  Strain and use]
2 tsp instant yeast
60 gm butter
  1. Knead all main dough ingredients together [except butter], then add in pre-fermented dough piece by piece.  Knead as you add until the dough is soft and smooth [the dough is quite wet but should be acceptable after about 10-15 minutes of kneading].
  2. Add butter and continue to knead until dough is soft, smooth and stretchable and doesn't stick to your fingers when pressed [may knead a little longer cos' the dough is quite sticky].
  3. Flour your hand before shaping dough into a ball and leave in the mixing bowl to prove for about 15-30 minutes or until double in size.  Cover the bowl when dough is proofing.
  4. Punch down the dough before dividing in 2 equal portions.   Flatten dough by rolling into a rectangular piece.  Fold into thirds and roll again into a rectangle shape.  Roll up tightly into a roulade [like swiss roll].  You can shape your dough according to own preference.
  5. Place in Pullman's tin [I used 2 Pullman's tin].  Leave it in the oven to prove for about 45 minutes or until dough has risen up to 80-90% of the tin.  Remove dough from oven 10 minutes before preheating oven at 175 degrees C.
  6. Bake bread for 30-35 minutes.  Remove to cool on wire rack.

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhLsOB6dmk6Qk1JhMZBEjS1H1ZsMHP85OC0XF-UMKGDm7HWftnKRPpELGq5ABDKfdgP0j20-XcO-J80UQt5vmxO0l6SomUSLIZkUj-Mh48n_RjJegZaSXhjvpvXUVidQktZgiVymtmfY94t/s1600/BYOB+words+only.jpg

I'm submitting this to Bake Your Own Bread hosted by 
Michelle of Delectable Musing,
 Heather of Girlichef and
                                                 Connie of My discovery of bread.









4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Kimmy, I love the way you formed the loaf w/ two long rolls side-by-side - makes for such pretty slices! And I'm very intrigued by the use of tea in this bread. I think my list of "to-make" breads will NEVER stop growing!! Beautiful loaves =)

kimmy said...

Hi Heather, thanks for the comments. My family loves this bread. Stays soft even on the third day.

Xff said...

I am surprised at how much this recipe is sticking with me ... I am so very curious how it tastes. I look forward to giving it a try myself, thank you so much for sharing this with BYOB.

Kimmy said...

Hi Michelle, it's hard to describe the taste but it has the mild aroma of tea.