Followers

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thai Green Curry Paste

My hubby's friend keeps saying his Thai Green Curry Chicken is the best but my hubby doesn't think so.  He has been reminding me to find an authentic Thai Green Curry recipe.  By chance, I came across this spicy mixture from Spicy Foodie and gave it a go cos' I happened to have all the ingredients needed in my humble kitchen.



Here are the ingredients that have to be blended till fine then combine with the powdered ingredients.  This fried paste keeps well refrigerated for 1-2 weeks and in the freezer for 2 months.

BTW,  I didn't get to cook the Thai Green Curry Chicken [see next post] with this paste cos' my hubby took it to his seniors' club house.  He cooked the curry there and brought home just a little for me to try and it was good.   So I made another batch [half portion] as I only wanted to about 700-800 gm chicken. 

Ingredients for Paste [slight modifications]
Ingredients A -
3 lemon grass [white part only]
1 inch piece ginger
1 tsp black peppercorns [about 70]
4 large green chillies
10 small Thai green chillies
4-5 cloves garlic
10-12 shallots
2 tsp grated lime zest [kaffir lime - better choice]
2-3 stalks fresh coriander with roots
Ingredients B -
1 tsp salt
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oil
  1. Blend ingredients A in a blender until fine.
  2. Mix with rest of ingredients B into a paste.
  3. Scoop into a container, cover and refrigerate until required.[*]
  4. This quantity is enough to cook 1.2 -1.5 kg of chicken meat.
[*] Fry paste with about 100 ml oil until oil separates then store if not using it within a week.



Note:
When cooking Thai Green Curry, adding some basil leaves and kaffir lime leaves will make the curry more fragrant.  The curry tasted more flavourful the next day.  Add more small Thai green chillies for a more spicy version.

This post is linked to the event,  Little Thumbs Up [June 2013 - Curry powder and paste] organised by Zoe [Bake for Happy Kids] and Mui Mui [My Little Favourite DIY] and hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.
Photobucket
Asian Food Fest
I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - November 2013  
hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I can imagine how fragrant your green curry is! And the colour is very greenish too. Mine was quite dull. I will try your recipe :)

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, mine is more greenish probably because I didn't use coconut milk. Advisable to add more basil leaves and kaffir lime leaves. The curry is even more flavourful. My BIL says its good and wouldn't mind if I make it more spicy.