Followers

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thai Green Curry Chicken

This is the second batch of Thai green curry paste which I prepared after the first was taken by my hubby.  Here, I only prepared half the portion of the first [see previous post] cos' I wanted to cook 700-800 gm of chicken which is just  enough for a meal.
A very aromatic curry and the spiciness is acceptable [my hubby's standard].  This is a healthy version where I used yoghurt  instead of coconut milk.
Ingredients
800 gm chicken thighs - cut bite size pieces [keep or remove skin] - I removed the skin
1-2 stalks basil leaves - used the leaves only
5-6 kaffir lime leaves - shredded finely
200 ml thin coconut milk [I used 100 ml water]
50 ml thick coconut milk [I used 150 ml plain yoghurt]
3-4 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar to taste
  1. Use fried green curry paste to marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Heat up wok without oil, fry the marinated chicken until firm [add some water or thin coconut milk if it is too dry].  Pour in the remaining water/coconut milk.
  3. Bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken is tender.  Add in thick coconut milk or yoghurt.  Cook until gravy is slightly thick.  Add seasoning to taste.
  4. Stir in the basil leaves and kaffir leaves if serving immediately otherwise add the leaves when reheating the curry before serving.
Notes:
Thai Green Curry Chicken tastes even better the next day cos' the flavours have been well absorbed into the chicken.

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up [June 2013 - Curry powder and paste] organised by Zoe [Bake for Happy Kids] and Mui Mui [My Little Favourite DIY] and hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.


I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - November 2013 hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings

14 comments:

cookingwithsapana said...

Love the flavors of Thai curry...

kimmy said...

Hi Sapana, we enjoyed the curry. Scrapping the gravy to the last drop off the plate.

QembarDelites said...

That looks delicious! Been a long time since I enjoyed this dish in a Thai restaurant. Am too lazy to cook curry dishes at home due to the long list of ingredients:P

Queenie said...

alamak Kimmy! that day akak masak kari ayam pedas, akak pun letak yogurt, kita macam dah janji2 jer kan? hehehe..tp rasanya sedap kan?

Anonymous said...

HI,SIS,,
love to give this recipes a go,,
may i know can i used frozen thighs
for this recipes,,
thanks--madina,,

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I can imagine that chicken must be very tasty on the next day with all the flavours infused into the chicken.

Plus, you have cooked this more than once... this recipe must be a keeper!

Zoe

kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, initially I thought it was difficult with so many ingredients but I found that I have all of them in the kitchen. I give it a go and no regrets. Curry given a thumbs up by all. Even my young nephew [10 yrs] said Wow! extra helping.

kimmy said...

Hi Queenie, I suka makan kuah kari lebih dari daging yg dimasak. Jadi I guna yoghurt semana blh supaya self consoling yg kari itu tak 'sinful' lah.. Taste memang sedap, mereka pun tak tahu I gunakan yoghurt.

kimmy said...

Hello Madina, sure you can use frozen chicken thighs but thaw them first before cooking.

kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I just ate a little the first time, that's why I cooked it again to enjoy more of it, hehehe! Now I'm satisfied.

Lite Home Bake said...

Hi Kimmy,
Just to let you know, i tried this and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Bake Home, so glad to receive your feedback on this dish. Hope more people will give it a try and enjoy this lovely curry.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy,

Thank you for sharing this recipe this my first time cooking green curry. Instead of using coconut milk i used milk.It turns out well and delicious everyone in my family liked it!

Jessie Oi

Kimmy said...

Hi Jessie, glad that you tried and liked it. Thanks for the feedback. I would prefer to use milk or even plain yoghurt as substitutes, too. Do try the Red Thai Curry, it is also good.