Followers

Friday, June 28, 2013

Tod Mun [Fried Fish Cake]

Another lovely Thai fried fish cake which is easy to prepare using the Thai Red Curry paste [see posting].    Didn't know that Tod Mun means Fried Fish Cake.   Simply mix the Tod Mun ingredients together and pan fry the paste until golden and cooked.  Can be eaten just like that with or without the dipping sauce.
Ingredients for Tod Mun [Fried Fish Cake]
300-350 gm fish paste [I used spanish mackerel] - see this post on how to prepare fish paste
100 gm french beans - thinly sliced
1 egg
5-6 kaffir lime leaves - finely sliced
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
enough oil for frying
  1. Mix and combine all the ingredients into a thick paste.
  2. Heat up a non stick pan with a little oil.  Scoop a spoonful of mixture into the pan.  Leave to fry until base is slightly golden and firm.  Flip over to fry the other side until golden and cooked through.  Dish out and place on kitchen absorbent paper. 
  3. Make several fish cake at a time until the mixture is finished [fry a few at a time so that you don't need too much oil which has to be discarded after frying].
  4. Place fried fish cake on serving plate and serve with Tod Mun Sauce and sliced cucumber.
Ingredients for Tod Mun Sauce 
1/2 tsp chilli paste
5 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp peanuts
1/2 quartered, thinly sliced cucumber [I didn't add it this time]
  1. Mix all ingredients together [except ground peanuts and  cucumber] in a small pot.  Bring to a boil.  Cool and add in ground peanuts before serving with Tod Mun [fried fish cake].
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up [June 2013 - Curry powder and paste] organised by Zoe [Bake for Happy Kids] and Mui Mui [My Little Favourite DIY] and hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.


I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - November 2013
hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings

8 comments:

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

This is really yummy. Can just eat it as a snack and I can sapu the whole plate of it!

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, I wanted to eat more but have to keep the bulk for my nephews who love fried anf flavourful food. I'm making another batch for my family once I can get fresh fish paste.

kitchen flavours said...

This looks really delicious! There will definitely be no leftovers if served in my house!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I always thought fried fish cakes are tough but not this one with french beans. It's good and I have cooked it few times since I had the home cooked Thai Red Curry Paste. You can use curry powder but must add fish sauce and sweet chilli sauce.

PH said...

Kimmy, this looks delicious especially will be more yummy with the dipping sauce. Have to make more because this will be very popular!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, with the dipping sauce, the fish cakes tasted more appetising.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

These fish cakes look yummy! I reckon my colleague will love these if I cook these for them :D They are great fan of Thai food.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, the dipping sauce is a must have for these fish cakes.