Followers

Monday, June 24, 2013

Nyonya Green Beans Soup [Lek Tau T'ng]

This is a Peranakan version of green beans sweet soup with coconut milk without adding rice.  I only add in the coconut milk when serving.  If you are serving this dessert straight after cooking, then you can add in the coconut milk after adding the sugar.  Very common and easily found at Chinese desserts stalls in Penang.

A friend just shared on FB, take green beans soup to beat the haze.

Ingredients-[serves 4-5]
[recipe adapted from Nyonya Flavours with slight modifications ]
200 gm green beans - rinsed several times and soaked for 30 minutes
1.2 litre water
2 blades of screwpine [pandan] leaves - knotted
100 - 120 gm sugar to taste
50 gm pearl sago - rinsed and drained in colander
1/2 tsp salt
100 ml thick coconut milk

  1. Bring water to boil in a pot, add green beans and pandan leaves.
  2. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes or until beans are soft.
  3. Add in pearl sago, continue to boil until sago turns clear.  Stir to prevent  sago from sticking to the base of pot.
  4. Add in sugar and salt to taste.
  5. Add coconut milk.  Remove pot from heat once the broth comes to a boil.
  6. Ladle into individual bowls to serve warm.



Note:
Usually, I won't add in all the coconut milk to the soup.  I add coconut milk into individual bowls when serving.  This way, I can store the broth and coconut milk separately in case of leftovers.

I'm  submitting this post to  Malaysian Food Fest [June 2013] - Penang hosted by 



I'm linking this post to Cook your Books #1 Event hosted by Kitchen Flavours

Cook-Your-Books

12 comments:

Amelia said...

HI Kimmy, I love this lek tau t'ng, very refreshing and fragrant. I make this often but use gula melaka.

Looking at your delicious dessert, I think I need 2 bowls. :))

Have a nice day.

PH said...

Kimmy, it was only much later in life that I appreciate this lek tau thng. I love to take it cold from the fridge.

kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, I was told this dessert/soup is good during hot weather or summer time. It has the cooling effect.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I haven't tried taking it cold. Next time I try.

Sokehah cheah said...

How I wish I can have a bowl right now.... I'm choking in smog... help!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
We love eating this on lazy afternoons! Hahaha! Sometimes I use gula melaka, sometimes white sugar, depends on my mood! :)
And sometimes with coconut milk, sometimes without. Now I feel like having a bowl!
Thanks for linking!

Esther Lau said...

Hi Kimmy, Lek Tau T'ng is a lovely and healthy dessert. I love both cold or hot version.

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Kimmy, my favourite!

kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, Joyce and Ivy, how I wish I can cook a big pot and share with all during these hazy days. hehehe!

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, with its' healthy properties, definitely worth cooking it for the family during this time.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

YUM! this is so yummy!

kimmy said...

Hi Kit, seeing all the comments from my dear blogger friends make me think of cooking it again, hehehe!.