Followers

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Taiwanese Lou Rou Chung [Braised Meat Rice Dumplings]

Came across this very simple rice dumpling recipe [from an old copy of Yum Yum food magazine] with the least of ingredients [liao].  I supposed this kind used to be the type Taiwanese would prepare during the very, very olden times [koo chou era], when I think there were many poor Taiwanese families having many children.  Probably these families were from the villages.
 
 
Anyway, seeing that the 'liao' is only pork belly, I added some dried mushrooms. Hopefully my mum wouldn't say, why I so 'kiam siap' [stingy], using so few ingredients for this chang.  Not like the Hokkien Kiam Bak Chang with pork belly, mushrooms, dried prawns, salted egg yolks and chestnuts etc...  I'm not stingy, just wanted to try a new version, after all it is the taste that matters [must say these changs tasted good even with the least of ingredients].   Perhaps, one day when I can't afford to make rice dumplings with so many ingredients, I can make this one........hehehe!

Ingredients - Braised Meat Filling
600 gm fatty pork belly - cut into 15-20 big pieces [I bought 2 strips and cut into 20 pieces]
10 pieces dried mushrooms - soaked, washed and drained - halved [optional]
2 tbsp each of oil, chopped garlic and slice shallots [I used 6 shallots]
Seasoning
2 tbsp each of oyster sauce and light soy sauce
1 tsp each dark soy sauce, 5 spice powder, sesame oil, pepper and sugar
  1. Marinate pork pieces with seasoning for several hours in the fridge.
  2. Heat oil and fry chopped garlic and shallots until aromatic and brown.
  3. Add in marinated pork belly and dried mushrooms.  Stir fry for 5-10 minutes until all the ingredients are well coated with seasoning and cooked.  Dish up and set aside.
Note: This filling can be prepared ahead.
Ingredients - Rice
[makes about 15-20 dumplings]
1 kg glutinous rice, soaked for 4 hours or overnight and drained
2 tbsp each of oil, chopped garlic and sliced shallots [I used 6 shallots]
2 tbsp each of oyster sauce and light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce and sesame oil
1 tsp each of salt, pepper and sugar
  1. Heat up oil, saute chopped garlic and sliced shallots until golden and crispy.
  2. Add in the rice and seasoning.  Off heat.  Stir fry to mix well the seasoning and rice.  Turn on the fire and fry for several minutes or until the rice is well mixed with the seasoning.
  3. Dish up and leave aside.
Wrapping Dumplings
about 40 pieces of  bamboo leaves [I used 11 cm leaves] - soaked and washed, then wipe dry, set aside
hemp strings enough to tie 15-20 dumplings


  • Using  2 pieces of bamboo leaves to fold into a cone.  Scoop some rice into the cone [I used about 1 and 1/2 tablespoon], place 1 piece pork belly and mushroom and top with about 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp rice [depending on the size of chang you wish to make].
  • Press the rice firm, cover it with the extended ends of bamboo leaves and form into a chang shape.  Tie and secure it with the hemp string.
  • Finish doing the same for the rest of ingredients.
 
  • Trim the edges of the bamboo leaves.  Place the changs in a big pot of water  enough to cover them.  Bring to boil and cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the rice dumplings are cooked.  Add more boiling water should the  water is reduced [water level must always be above the dumplings].
  • Remove from water and hang dumplings to dry before storing them or serve warm.
Notes:  Not necessary to bring water to boil before adding dumplings to cook.  These changs can be placed in a pot of water enough to cover them.   Turn on heat to cook for 2 1/2 hours.  Fill pot with hot water whenever water is reduced [water level is below the dumplings].
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

I'm linking this post to Cook your Books #1 Event hosted by Kitchen Flavours.

Should you have any remaining ingredients without bamboo leaves to wrap - just place all the ingredients [rice and meat] in a can, steam for 40-45 minutes to cook [see this post].
Balance ingredients can be steamed 
in a bowl or aluminium can

13 comments:

PH said...

Hah! Hah! Hah! As long as got pork belly should be ok lah. Kimmy, you make me craving for chang liao. My auntie is also quite good at making chang and I love her chang. Too bad she is overseas at the moment.

Happy Flour said...

So fast time fly, it time for dumpling again. I have been following your blog and all your delicious bakes and foods really make me drooling. Happy baking & cooking! ;p

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, funny when the time comes for certain food eventhough sinful, we can still miss and crave for them. Hahaha!

kimmy said...

Hi Happy Flour, glad to hear from you. Really miss you. Will you be making some dumplings for the Chang Festival?

Happy Flour said...

My family are not dumpling lover. So I don't intend to make this year and some more I'm lazy!

kimmy said...

Hi Happy Flour, you're not lazy. Make dumplings is quite time consuming and much preparation to do over 1-2 days.

lena said...

kimmy, you are so so hardworking...i wished i have half your energy to make all these :)i intend to make some changs this week..but i'm so afraid of wrapping..hopefully they will not burst and leak ...otherwise i will hv to do it like you said..steam in a bowl..like loh mai kai !

kimmy said...

Hi Lena, my family likes rice dumplings and I loved the aroma of the chang leaves,hehehe. Moreover, they can freezed and reheat before serving them warm.

kimmy said...

Hi Happy Flour, I'm also lazy to make them but it's getting expensive to buy and some are not that fresh.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
This is my kinda chang! With pork belly! Haha! Looks so delicious, makes me want to bite into one!
Thank you for linking all your wonderful chang! You make me drool!

kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, happens to be Dumpling Festival this time, thought it would be good to share the recipes which I have tried.

mui mui said...

Kimmy,
I Iove your dark colour dumpling.
I never add oyster sauce and light sauce to my rice,
I must try this next year.
Thanks for sharing.
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, by adding oyster sauce and light soy sauce make the rice more fragrant and not just salty flavour from the salt. The darker colour makes it more appetising, hehehe!