Followers

Friday, June 21, 2013

Kerabu Taugeh [Beansprout Kerabu]

Most kind of kerabu has always been my favourite dish to go with rice cos' they are aromatic, spicy and do not require frying.  Moreover, I love adding 'kerisik' [fried grated coconut] to them.  Kerabu taugeh is quite commonly sold at Malay food stalls but most Peranakan families do prepare it for their meals.

Here is a kerabu taugeh which I prepared over the weekend.  A little sourish, spicy and aromatic salad.

Ingredients
[original recipe from a book 'Nyonya Flavours' with slight modifications]
300 gm beansprouts - tailed and washed
150 gm prawns - shelled and blanched to cook, sliced thinly
100 gm shallots - peeled and sliced thinly
1 ginger flower - finely sliced [just before mixing]
3 - 4 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp sambal belacan [homemade or store bought] 
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 - 3 tbsp kerisik [toasted grated white coconut] - prepared ahead and stored in airtight container
  1. Blanched beansprouts in hot water for a few seconds.  Immediately drain in a colander.  Set aside to cool.

  2. Mix lime juice with sugar,  sambal belacan and ginger flower in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add in beansprouts, cooked prawns, shallots and kerisik.
  4. Toss to mix well.  Serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to  Malaysian Food Fest [June 2013] - Penang hosted by


MALAYSIAN FOOD FEST

I'm also linking this post to Cook your Books #1 Event hosted by Kitchen Flavours

Cook-Your-Books

6 comments:

Queenie said...

hmmm......nampaknya kakak dah silap masuk rumah...hari ni puasa tapi dah terliur dah...i always love kerabu, nampak simple tapi banyak kerja sebenarnya hehehe...nak buat kerisek lagi, home made kerisik is the best, kan? hanya orang rajin saja boleh sediakan kerabu untuk family, rajin macam my dearest Kimmy....theee...

PH said...

Kimmy, I love this kerabu a lot! Adding kerisik gives it a special aroma and makes it even more appetizing.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I'm liking all the Nyonya dishes you are featuring this month!
Your kerbau taugeh looks good! I have never attempted to make it at home before.
Thank you for linking!

kimmy said...

Hi Queenie, I suka buat kerabu sebab tak perlu last minute cooking. Cuma buat sambal belacan I takut. Jiran saya baik, suruh orang gaji dia tumbuk sambal utk saya, terima kasih kpd dia. Buat, I suka home-made kerisik yg tak berminyak.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I have yet to try many of your yummy kerabus.

kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, thanks for the compliment. It's worth sharing. A few more coming, hope they can all come in this month.