Followers

Friday, June 7, 2013

Penang Style Meat Rolls [Lor Bak]

Penang Lor Bak [meat rolls] is different from other areas.  It can be different on the island and the mainland. My mum makes meat rolls which are different from her sisters living in Bukit Mertajam and Perak.

My recipe here can be considered as authentic Penang Lor Bak [see earlier post for recipe]. It's a must have dish for my family during Chinese New Year and other festive seasons. Ingredients
[makes about 18 - 20 rolls]
600 gm pork [tender meat] - cut strips
100 gm pork fat - cut strips
50 gm shallots - sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic - chopped finely
1 egg
2 heaped tbsp cornflour
Seasoning
1 piece fermented bean curd 'nam yee'
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
a dash msg
1 tbsp margarine/butter
1 big piece beancurd skin [foo peh] - cut 20 equal size pieces

  1. Season meat, pork fat with marinade. Add in shallots, garlic, egg and cornflour. Marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight. 
  2. Wrap marinated meat into meat rolls [like spring rolls]. 
  3. Deep fry in medium heat till golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
  4. Slice and serve immediately with chilli sauce, cucumber slices or pickled radish. 





I'm submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest [June 2013] - Penang hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodie

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I lao nuar liao! I love lor bak. I thought that it is made with minced pork. I must try making my own one day.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, minced pork is used to make another kind of meat rolls popularly known as Bak Kian over the mainland. My aunties in Taiping prepares Bak Kian which is more common there. [I have a post on this].

QembarDelites said...

I think I will make this lor bak too...this weekend must go and buy pork:D I usually make bak kian cos I am from Taiping. Now want to try the Penang one.

kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, bak kian is also good. I got to eat them whenever I visit my cousins in Taiping. Do try this dish, you may like it, too.

mui mui said...

Kimmy,
This is my favourite. I never tried Penang style lor bak.
By the look of yours, this must be so yum!
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, so far this Lor Bak has been well received by many who had tried again and again. Children just loved it with thumbs up.