Followers

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Nyonya Mixed Vegetable [Chap Chye]

Most Nyonya style stir fried vegetables have a variety of ingredients at least half a dozen which contributes the flavours and texture of the dishes.

Nyonya mixed vegetables, commonly know to Chinese as 'Chap Chye' is one of the popular vegetable dish in most Chinese families during festive times.  It can be a vegetarian or non-vegetarian by adding prawns or even meat.
This Chap Chye recipe which I cooked can be considered vegetarian as I have omitted the prawns and meat.

Ingredients
100 gm cabbage -washed and tear into bite size pieces
1 stalk mustard leaves [chye sim] - washed and cut in 1" lengths
1 small carrot - peeled and slice any patterns or flower shape
2-3 cloves garlic - chopped
200 gm prawns - shelled and rinsed [optional]
2-3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp fine preserved bean paste [taucheo]
1-2 florets dried wood fungus - soaked and break in smaller pieces
2 dried mushrooms - soaked and sliced
30 gm dried lily buds [kim chiam] - soaked and drained
2 sticks dried beancurd sticks [tau kee] - soaked and cut into 1" lengths
15 gm glass noodles - soaked for 5 minutes - drained
1/2 tsp each of salt and chicken stock granules to taste
1/2 cup water
  1. Prepare the above ingredients.
  2. Heat oil in wok, saute garlic until fragrant.  Add in bean paste and fry for a minute.
  3. Add in mushrooms, black fungus, carrots and cabbage.  Fry for a minute and mix the ingredients well.

  4. Add in the remaining ingredients, water and seasoning.  Stir fry a bring to a boil.
  5. Add in mustard leaves.  
  6. Stir fry to mix well, taste to adjust seasoning before dishing out to serve.

I'm linking this post to Cook your Books #1 Event hosted by Kitchen Flavours



6 comments:

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Kimmy, simple and yummy. A very homey dish which I used to cook too when I run out of ideas.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy, I love eating Nyonya chap chye. I could eat just eat this one dish with rice, with some sambal belacan. Delish. Is this another recipe from the book Nyonya Flavours? It has been a long time since I last tried any recipe from this book!
Thank you for linking!

kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, also a good vegetable dish to cook when you have a little left of all these ingredients.

kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, yes it is. We had this chap chye and Nyonya Curry Chicken with rice. The day's nutrition requirement taken care off with it.

PH said...

Kimmy, this is a diet friendly dish! I love to eat chap chye with sambal belacan. Been thinking of cooking it but somehow couldn't find the time because there are so many nice dishes to cook!

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you are right, there are so many nice dishes to try. Sometimes I wonder how come I still hear this remark at the wet market "Don't know what to cook, the children complained and so much left overs". Lucky me, whatever I cooked at my MIL's and my house are finished without leftovers.