Came across this recipe sometime ago but could'nt bake these buns as I do not have the cornet moulds. On my last shopping trip, I noticed these cornet moulds among the other baking items up for sale for the Hari Raya festive season. There were so many new baking/cooking utensils/items on sale at the departmental stores but I have to discipline myself not to buy too many unnecessary items no matter how tempting they are. Being a rather 'disciplined person', hehe, I bought only these moulds and they were cheap for a set of 6 pieces [RM 3.90/set] and hopefully they are going to useful....in my kitchen.
First I baked these buns then I filled them with some tuna mayo fillings just before serving. I supposed they can be stuffed with many other types of fillings [either sweet or savoury]. May be my god daughter would love it with ice cream [she loves having bread with ice cream]. This recipe yields 16 buns. The buns were soft, fluffy and moist and can easily be dislodged from the moulds.
Ingredients for the Buns
Step 1 - Sponge Dough
100 gm bread flour
100 gm plain flour
1.5 tsp instant yeast
130 ml water
- Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour. Knead to form a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Bread Dough
200 gm bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
130 gm grated carrot
40 gm butter
- Add all Step 2 ingredients [except butter] to dough from Step 1. Knead from low speed until well combined. Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes]. Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage [Notes - if not baking buns immediately, the dough can be kept in plastic bag tied up and refrigerate. Thaw to room temperature before using. Advisable to keep up to 48 hours only].
- Shape dough into a ball. Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough in 16 pieces.
- Shape dough into round balls. Flatten each ball, roll up and roll dough into a 12" rope. Thin out at one end.
- Coil the dough around a lightly greased cornet shape mould. Place on a lightly greased baking tray. Do the same for the rest of the dough. Leave to rise for 40-50 minutes or until 2 times in size.
- Before baking, brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool on rack, remove mould and fill cornet buns with prepared filling before serving.
Ingredients for filling
1 tin tuna
2 hard boiled eggs - chopped
1 potato - boiled/steamed till soft - diced
3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Mix the first 3 ingredients together then add in mayonnaise. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
I'm sharing this bread recipe with Bake Your Own Bread [BYOB] via girlichef