Occasionally, I will crave to have a bowl of hot herbal soup. The fragrance of the Chinese herbs can sometimes be irresistible though it may taste a little bitter. Anyway, this is a light herbal soup great to serve with hot steaming rice.
450 gm free range chicken - skin removed, cut bite size pieces - blanched and rinsed
8 red dates
2 slices huai san
6-7 strips yuzhuk
1 tbsp kei chee [wolfberries]
5-6 sections of tong sum
4-5 sections of pak kei
4-5 sections of dang quai
800 ml water
salt and chicken stock granules to taste
- Place tong sum, pak kei and dang quai in a spice bag. Secured with a string.
- Bring water to boil, add in herbs' bag, huai san, red dates and yuzhuk. Boil for 15-20 minutes then add in blanched chicken'.
- Add in blanched chicken pieces. Bring to boil again, then add in kei chee, simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and soup aromatic.
- Season with some salt and chicken granules to taste.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice.