This is a stir fry dish if you use chicken breast but if like here, I have used free change chicken, there is a need to braise it after stir fry so as to tenderise the meat well.
This dish can be prepared ahead of meal time and just reheat before serving. The chicken meat and black fungus absorb the flavours of sesame seed oil which is fragrant combined with the remaining seasoning.
Recipe adapted from My White Kitchen with modifications
300 gm free range chicken - cut into chunky pieces
1/2 bowl soaked black fungus
2 pips garlic - sliced
some shredded ginger
some shredded red chillies
1 stalk spring onions - cut sections
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp cooking wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
250 ml water
some cornstarch water [optional]
- Heat a non stick wok, add in shredded ginger and garlic, saute until aromatic and lightly brown before adding chicken pieces. Stir well.
- Add in the seasoning, bring to boil and coats the chicken pieces well. Add in the black fungus and some shredded red chillies. Stir well.
- Pour in water, bring to boil, lower heat, cover to simmer chicken until meat is tender and sauce reduced to thick or thicken with so cornstarch water.
- Lastly, add in spring onions. Dish up to serve with rice.
- Garnish with remaining red chillies and spring onions.