Any dish or dessert with sago is always my favourite. This dessert with coconut milk and aromatic palm sugar sauce is another irresistible dessert.
The original recipe uses less sago but since I like sago, I had cooked more of it with the same portion of remaining ingredients. It is very easy to prepare this dessert. Only a few steps.
300 gm sago pearls
1 litre water
200 gm palm sugar [gula Melaka] – chopped
2 pandan leaves – washed and knotted
250 ml coconut milk + ¼ tsp salt
- Bring water to boil in a pot. Add in sago to cook, stir constantly until sago becomes translucent [about 15 minutes].
- When there are no more white dots in the centre of the sago, the water will turn starchy. Strain the sago into a sieve and wash away the starch under running cold water. Drain and scoop the sago into individual serving small glasses. Put in the fridge to chill.
- In a small saucepan, add in coconut milk, salt and pandan leaf. Boil over low heat and stir constantly. Remove when it starts to boil. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt the palm sugar with 2 tablespoon water and pandan leaf over low heat. Once it becomes syrup, remove to cool.
- To serve, drizzle syrup over chilled sago then top with coconut milk. Serve immediately.