This is a basic meatball recipe with addition of several ingredients usually used in Chinese cooking [like ginger, garlic and spring onions]. These are the ingredients that contribute to the taste and aroma of the meatballs.
These fried meatballs on its own are tasty and has a bite. This meatball paste can be used as topping to be steamed with mushrooms, tofu, bittergourd etc.
[makes about 16 meatballs]
200 gm minced pork belly or lean meat
5 water chestnuts – skinned and chopped
1 tsp each of chopped garlic, ginger, carrot and spring onions
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp each of light soy sauce and wine
Dash of pepper and msg
- Mix minced meat with seasoning. Stir in one direction until the paste is sticky.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into balls and deep fry in hot oil over medium heat until golden brown. Dish up.
3 tbsp plum sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp each of light soy sauce, wine and apple cider vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
- Combine all the ingredients in a measuring cup. Add enough water to make up to 120 ml.
- Bring sauce to boil in a small saucepan. Stir until sauce is bubbly and thick. Add sliced onions [optional].
- Place some shredded zucchini on serving platter, top with fried meatballs.
- Pour sauce over it and serve immediately.
This post is link to Carole's Chatter: Food on Friday Theme - Chinese Food