This kind of noodle is good to serve during busy days because the minced meat sauce can be prepared earlier and stored in the refrigerator until required. Before serving just reheat and spread them over blanched noodles and some vegetables, that makes a complete meal.
I actually didn’t intend to keep them for later but happens that my MIL was suddenly hospitalized for Hernia operation. I was kept busy having to be in hospital to look after her and hardly have time to cook a proper dinner. We have to keep our meals simple during the duration of her hospitalisation and this kind of One Dish Meal is most welcomed.
The minced meat sauce is very easy to prepare yet good and tasty with noodles or steaming hot rice too.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 67 with modifications
Ingredients For Minced Meat Sauce
200 gm minced meat with some fats if preferred
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp preserved soy bean paste [finely chopped] [taucheong]
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1-2 tsp sugar
½ tsp pepper
200 ml water
4 pieces Wantan noodles [fresh or dry]
1 stalk spring onions - chopped
3-4 tbsp Szechuan Chilli Oil or any chilli oil
Some blanched mustard leaves [chai sim]
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, sauté shallots and garlic until aromatic and slightly crispy. Add in minced meat and stir fry until meat turns white.
- Add in preserved soy bean paste and seasoning. Stir fry to mix well. Pour in the water. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add more water if it is too dry.
- Remove from heat and set aside or store in container in the refrigerator for later use.
- Blanch noodles in boiling water until cooked. Dish up and drain.
- Place on serving platter with blanched vegetables.
- Spread minced meat sauce over noodles. Sprinkle spring onions and chilli oil on top. Serve immediately.
I am submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event#27 - October 2015 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours