This is my first time baking a chiffon cake without any fats [oil]. The cake rose beautifully and of course there are cracks, perhaps I have used a wrong size [18 cm] chiffon pan. The recipe calls for a 22 cm pan. Anyway, this chiffon cake is very spongy, soft and moist. It's worth baking this if you are trying to cut down on fats in your diet, hehehe!Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture- [use 22 cm tube pan]
original recipe from Yum Yum Magazine No. 81
[makes 14 pieces]
5 egg yolks [used large eggs]
70 gm cake flour sifted with 1/4 tsp baking soda
30 gm cocoa powder mix with 100 ml hot water until dissolve
- Whisk egg yolks with cocoa mixture and flour until well combined and smooth. Set aside while you whisk the egg white. Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
5 egg white
80 gm sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Whisk egg white until frothy then add in cream of tartar. Continue whisking until foamy then gradually add in sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks formed.
- Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture. Mix until well incorporated. Then fold mixture into balance meringue, Mix well.
- Pour batter into 9" tube pan. Shake a little and tap pan on table top several times to release trapped air .
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes.
- Invert pan immediately after baking to cool cake.
- Use a thin spatula to run around the pan.
- Remove cake from pan, then use a serrated knife to slice cake before serving.
Notes: Visit this site for its Nutritional Facts [here]
I'm linking this post to Cook Your Books Event #6
hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours