My hubby brought home a feshly caught thread fin 'senangin' fish. Instead of steaming the whole fish, I decided to prepare this dish and kept the head for steaming.
I have prepared this steamed noodles when I have fresh meaty fish fillets after visiting Cheah's blog on Steamed Fish Fillet with Rice Vermicelli. Several of my friends have also tried and like them very much. Perhaps, I should post this dish here for my own record but do visit Cheah's blog [No Frills] for the original recipe. BTW, she has a good collection of simple yet delicious recipes, too. It's a nutritious and healthy 1 Dish Meal for all.
120 gm rice vermicelli [thin type] - I used A1 brand - 2 1/2 pieces
- Soak for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain well and place on casserole dish.
300 gm fish fillet - cleaned and sliced [here I used thread fin] seasoned with 2 tsp fish sauce, 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp chopped young ginger and a dash of pepper. Set aside in the fridge for an hour or so.
Sauce for Rice Vermicelli [Beehoon] - mix together
1 cup water
1 tsp each of salt and oyster sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
1 red chilli - sliced thinly
1 stalk spring onion - chopped
1-2 tbsp fried garlic crisps with garlic oil
- Arrange marinated fish fillet slices on the rice vermicelli. Add in some shredded ginger.
- Pour sauce over the rice vermicelli just before steaming.
- Bring water to a rolling boil. Steam noodles over rapidly boiling water for 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, drizzle in wine, add in fried garlic crisps and oil
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and sliced red chilli.
- Serve hot with chopped garlic, chilli and light soy sauce dip.