Have seen many postings by fellow bloggers on these cute little roses. Here, are some of the cute little roses that I have made to satisfy my curiosity. Do they look cute or awful? Do visit these blogs for a better explanation on the making [Wendy, Table for 2...or more and Sherleen's Kitchen Diary ] if you wish to try.
[original recipe adapted from Sherleen's Kitchen Diary ] - I doubled the quantity and used Savoury Green Bean Paste as filling]
125 gm pau flour [can use supefine flour]
80 gm mashed purple sweet potato
20 gm sugar [I used 1 tbsp]
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp corn oil [I used vegetable shortening]
- Mix and knead all ingredients [except shortening] in a mixer bowl until soft.
- Add in shortening and continue to knead dough until soft, smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball, cover and let it proof for 1-2 hours or until 1 1/2 times in size.
- Punch down and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 10 gm each. Roll each piece into a flat circle of equal width.
- To form the rose, please see pictures below [I did the rose in 2 different ways].
- Place rose buns on paper cases and rest for 30-40 minutes or until double in size in a steaming tray.
- Steam over boiling water for 10 minutes. Off fire but leave buns in steamer for a further 2-3 minutes before uncovering and remove to cool on wire rack.
For the second method, the dough weighs about 50 gm [you can make it either bigger or smaller. it's okay] and filling is about 20 gm.
Fillings - Savoury Green Bean Paste [see here for recipe]