[dough weighs 550 - makes 12 pieces ]
Mix together - yeast mixture
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp pau flour
180 ml lukewarm water
300 gm pau flour or low protein flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
40 gm castor sugar
30 gm black sesame powder [I grind toasted black sesame seeds until fine]30 gm butter
- Combine and mix yeast mixture in a mixing bowl. Stir well and leave aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Then add in pau ingredients [except butter]. Knead into a smooth dough before adding in butter to knead until elastic. Cover and leave to proof for 30-40 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down and divide into 3 equal portions. Shape each into a ball. Then divide each portion into 4 equal parts. Roll into round balls.
- Wrap each dough around chosen filling and shape into any shapes preferred. I used round, pleated and oval shapes. Place on paper casing and leave to rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Steam the buns over rapid boiling water for 10 minutes. I steamed the buns from cold water for 12-15 minutes in an electric steamer, then leave for 5-10 minutes before eating.