Was planning to bake this chiffon cake when I bought this yoghurt. Then I saw Wendy's Topo Map Love cake pattern which looks so unique and interesting. I know it won't be that soon I will bake the Topo Map Love cake. So without hesitation, I used part of her idea to create those dark lines in this cake too. Can't compare with Wendy's but at least I know the effect, haha!
The cake texture is good. Light, moist and taste yummy. My hubby asked to reserve the last 2 slices for him.
Ingredients - Egg Yolk Mixture
4 large egg yolks
2 tbsp castor sugar
4 tbsp corn oil
1/2 tsp salt
100 ml capuccino vanilla yoghurt with Nata Coco
120 gm plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder - sifted
- Whisk egg yolks with castor sugar till creamy and add in corn oil [1 tbsp at a time]. Mix well after each addition. Then add in yoghurt. Mix well, fold in flour until well combined. Set aside. Preheat oven at 170 degrees C for 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the meringue.
Ingredients - Egg White Mixture
4 large egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp caster sugar
Some chocolate powder - optional - to form thin lines in the cake
- Whisk egg white in a clean mixing bowl till frothy, then add in cream of tartar. Continue beating for a second and add in caster sugar gradually. Continue beating all the time till soft peaks formed [Note - it is easier to fold in soft peak egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture. Do not overbeat meringue]
- Fold in 1/3 the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture until well combined. Then fold into the rest of egg white mixture. Fold until mixtures are well combined.
- Pour 1/3 portion into 7" chiffon pan, sieve in unevenly a layer of cocoa powder. Top with another 1/3 portion of mixture and sieve in another layer of cocoa powder and pour in balance mixture. Smooth the surface with a spatula. Tap pan several times on table top to release trapped air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes on lower rack.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert pan to cool cake before removing from pan.