Raisin Loaf Bread is one of the many loaf breads that I have made before but did not post the recipe. Today, I made this bread again as I have some raisins left in my pantry to clear. This recipe yields lovely, soft bread. The ingredients here makes 2 loaves of bread [550 gm each]. It is more economical to bake this quantity [just keep a loaf in the refrigerator if 1 loaf last you for 2 days].
Ingredients for Overnight Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3 tsp instant yeast [actual is 3.9 tsp]
250 ml water
- Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough. Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours. Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
300 gm bread flour [I used 270 gm bread flour and 30 gm wholemeal flour]
2 tbsp milk powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
150 gm raisins - soaked in 1 tbsp rum or cool boiled water [just enough to plump up raisins]
150 ml water [or less]
60 gm butter [I used about 50 gm]
- Add all the ingredients [except butter and raisins] to the overnight dough. Knead until well combined and dough is soft for about 10 minutes then add in butter. Continue kneading until soft, smooth and elastic. Add in raisins. Knead a further 3-5 minutes and dough does not stick to the fingers.
- Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log. Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for an hour or until double in size [almost reach the rim of the baking tin. [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make small loaves]. Here, I divide the dough into 4 portions and plaited the dough.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes. Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.