After making the zuchini and cabbage pickles, this time I tried pickling white carrots. Pickled white carrot goes well with Penang Lor Bak, Meat Rolls, Taiwanese 'chicken' rolls and and other fried meat or even prawn and fish fritters.
It is very simple but the steps to do it must be followed especially with the seasoning of the vegetable with salt. It must be left for at least 1-2 hours to draw out the liquid. This is very important as to get a crunchy pickle. For white carrots, it is important if do not want your pickle to have the bitter taste of it.
300 gm white carrot - scrape the skin, wash and sliced thinly
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup white rice vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
- Mix salt to sliced carrots well. Leave for 1-2 hours to drain out liquid [Must follow strictly this step].
- Rinse carrot and squeeze out as much liquid/moisture as possible.
- Mix sugar and vinegar together.
- Place carrot in a glass container. Pour in the vinegar and sugar solution. Mix well. Cover the container and leave for at least 2 hours before it is ready to serve.
- Chill in the refrigerator and enjoy this refreshing pickle to any fried meat.