Ingredients for Sponge Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
200 ml water
- Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough. Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours. Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 large egg
6 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 130 ml hot water60 gm butter
- Add all the ingredients [except butter] to the sponge dough. Knead until well combined and dough is soft for about 10 minutes then add in butter. Continue kneading until soft, smooth and elastic. Knead a further 10 minutes and dough does not stick to the fingers.
- Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log. Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size. [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make small loaves].
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes. Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.