Search all over and found this recipe from Amy Beh's collection, but I change some ingredients for my own convenience. This is a good recipe, the sambal dried prawn is not salty. Should be good as bun filling.
200 gm dried prawns - soaked, cleaned and lightly pounded [I use the blender]
2 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 100 - 150 ml water, strain to obtain juice
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced [I omit]
1/2 cup oil
Spice Ingredients [Ground to a paste]
5 dried chillies, soaked [I substitute with 1 tbsp chilli boh]
7 red chillies
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemongrass
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
3 tbsp sugar or to taste
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt or to taste [depends on the dried prawns]
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules [I used msg - Ajinomoto]
- Prepare the ingredients as above.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the spice ingredients over medium low heat until aromatic.
- Add in the tamarind juice. Bring it to a boil. Add in the dried prawns. Stir fry until well combined.
- Add in seasoning and kaffir lime leaves [if using]. Reduce the heat and keep frying until mixture is almost dry and crumbly [to the desired texture]. Drier if using as bun filling.
- Dish out and leave to cool. Serve with sliced cucumber or fresh mint leaves.