This recipe is for 2 loaves of bread. Measure half the quantity if you are making only 1 loaf [550 gm].
This bread is very soft and moist even on the third day. But I realised the texture is also fine which I believed could be due to longer kneading time. I kneaded a little bit longer and on faster speed because the dough was a sticky. I did not add any water to the bread dough. Good recipe to keep.
Ingredients for Sponge Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
250 ml water
- Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough. Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours. Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour
2 tbsp milk powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
200 gm pumpkin puree
50 ml water or omit50 gm butter [2 tbsp]
- Add all the ingredients [except water and butter] to the sponge dough. Knead until well combined, then gradually add in water [if necessary] while kneading until a soft dough is formed. Knead for about 10 minutes then add in butter. Continue kneading until soft, smooth, elastic and dough does not stick to the fingers [about 15 minutes on high speed].
- Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log. Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size. [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make small loaves or braid it as I did this time].
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes. Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.