Came across this chiffon cake at Sonia's blog [not exactly the ingredients]. The original recipe uses Parmesan Cheese. Since I have a block of cheddar cheese in the fridge, I just gave it a try. The cake was light, soft, fluffy and not too sweet with some changes to the measurement. As like always, I prefer to use a tablespoon to measure some the ingredients since the quantity required is small. Really lovely cake. Its a keeper. Thanks to Sonia for sharing this recipe.
Ingredients for Egg Mixture
4 egg yolks [large]
2 tbsp castor sugar
3 tbsp corn oil
70 ml milk or water
70 gm grated cheddar cheese [can use Parmesan cheese]
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together, then continue beating while adding oil, follow by milk. Then fold in the grated cheese. Fold in sifted flour till well combined and set aside while you prepare the egg white mixture.
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees for 10 minutes.
70 gm cake flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder [or 70 gm self raising flour] - sifted
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar [or 1 tbsp cornflour]
5 level tbsp of castor sugar [70 gm sugar]
- Whisk egg white till frothy then add in cream of tartar [or cornflour]. Continue whisking and gradually add in sugar. Whisk till foamy and soft peaks formed.
- Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture till well combined. Pour into the balance meringue and fold till well combined.
- Pour mixture into 7" chiffon pan. Tap on table top several times to expel out trapped air.
- Baked in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes on lower rack. Remove and invert pan immediately after baking. Cool and then remove from pan before slicing.